Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Miami to Pignon: The Road thru Hinche

Hello folks,

Wow...what a day.

We woke up at 3:00 am and one flight and six hours in a school bus later, we arrived at our destination- the Mt. Carmel Orpahanage in LeGene, just north of Pignon. I would love to describe every last detail of the journey but as it turns out my international data rates are FAR more expensive than I had imagined. Pastor Joe has graciously allowed me to use his laptop but it is not a fast connection, and I don't want to dominate it.

Port-au-Prince was as smooth as one can hope for in a third-world country. We basically flew in on time, went thru immigrations, customs, got our bags and were met by the good Pastor and his helpers in their US-purchased renovated schoolbus (purchased in Virginia for $2200, with $2500 in shipping costs and over $3000 in customs fees for Haiti administrators, but I digress...)

After a quick stop for water, we made our way...slowly...out of the city proper and into the rugged mountainous countryside. Lots to see...but it was Haiti as I remember it from 2010- full of beautiful people in a bad situation. (I invite any of the OWS spoiled crybabies to stop texting and put down their Red Bulls for just a moment and come see what REAL poverty looks like).

Anyway, the last miles of the trip were on unpaved, poorly maintained roads but we arrived tired but in one piece....having avoided the bands of UN convoys so famous for confiscating anything of value and either keeping it or redistributing it in "the name of the UN." We turned into the orphanage and were immediately greeted with the smiles of children and adults alike, and there were hugs and kisses all around.

After a wonderful dinner prepared by Nerlande our house mother, we set up for clinic for tomorrow in the church on the compound. The tables were set up and medications and supplies laid out. I even got to see my first few patients as a favor to the Pastor.

I would love to type more but I am exhausted and have a long day tomorrow. I will try to upload a few pictures, if it doesnt get too $$$$...

Eric

No comments: