Friday, February 03, 2012

Closure/Final Thoughts

It is quite possible- in fact likely- that a mission to Haiti provides more for the missionaries than to their Haitian benefactors. Reflecting back on the last couple of weeks, I have memories that will be tattooed on my soul for the rest of my days and beyond.

It never fails that seeing, doing, and caring in that tiny little land with its ruggedly beautiful landscape and its loving and beautiful people has a huge impact on us as Americans. Particularly with one's first journey, as happened with me, one looks inside oneself for ways to improve personally. Right after returning last time in 2010 I cleaned up my life, bettered myself, improved my relationships and my career. I hear others pledge to be better people- to embark on a new line of study, to improve health, to mend fences. Maybe it's the influence of God's aura on the people that rubs off on us, perhaps divine intervention itself, perhaps being unencumbered by the selfish and convenience-driven never ending to-do lists in our daily routines which obscure the true meaning of life....but whatever you believe, Haiti changes you.

I am experiencing a comfortable mellowness that seems to come with the post-trip afterglow. Much like a "runner's high," I am floating thru my days back home with a calm I have not felt since, well, after my last Haiti trip. It is reflected the relationship with my family, my work, and my daily routines. I hope I can hold this feeling as long as possible....

I look forward to my return to the orphanage. I will occasionally solicit for contributions from family and friends (see the PayPal link in the right upper corner of this blog). Emails communication with Haitian friends, new and old, have already started to flow. My vision is sharp, my head clear, and heart joyous I feel at ease with my life, in the grace of the Almighty God, without whom there can be none of this.

I would like to give special thanks to my brothers and sisters in whose mission I shared:

Pastor Henry- your leadership and guidance was the foundation of our success.

Janet- Part inspiring, part comforting, with a love of the Haitian people unrivaled.

Clinton- thanks for all your support and great job providing excellent care!

Kim- I can never thank you enough for the friendship, your shared stories of personal triumph, and general companionship.

Scott- Your spirit was a gift to us all; your words uplifting...and the pictures you took are some of the great take-home treasures

Kellie- Your good-humored nature put us at ease and made us laugh; your knack for running the pharmacy was unrivaled

Diane- Thank you for all your stories, words of wisdom, and for filling up what might have been some quiet moments

Crystal- I will never forget the look in your eyes as you look into the eyes of the Haitian children. Whatever path you choose, may it come from your heart. Best of luck to you.

----

I shall be "going dark," so to speak, on my blogging for a while but will try to upload some more pictures, perhaps even a video slideshow if I can get one working. In the meantime, thank you for reading and please keep Haiti in your prayers.

God Bless,

Eric

2 comments:

Clint said...

Well said, Eric. Thanks for inviting me along with you. Next year will be even better!

The Mom said...

And your great love and inspiration, along with some of the "acid" of personality we all share made this trip one of the best I've had! May it be a relationship of long-standing travel and friendship.